Available in a wide range of languages, the Berlitz Proficiency Interview is a customized language proficiency test designed to meet your agency’s specific needs for assessing the skills required for day-to-day exchanges between employees and clients. Through a 20-minute series of questions, prompts, and tasks, a Berlitz Rater assesses proficiency levels in areas such as writing, reading comprehension, written and/or oral translation, and use of industry-specific terminology.
Berlitz offers a wide range of language and proficiency testing services that are ideal for pre-employment screening as well as internal benchmarking designed to assist agencies in making personnel decisions.
The Berlitz Proficiency Interview
Available in a variety of languages, the Berlitz Proficiency Interview is a proficiency testing system that accurately measures the active oral communicative ability of civilian and military personnel or applicants in a workplace environment. Designed through an on-going partnership with the University of Illinois, this testing system employs a verbal assessment strategy in which a Berlitz Rater methodically guides the examinee through a telephone dialogue within a business context.
All Berlitz Raters are native-fluent in their given test language, and are experienced in leading Berlitz Proficiency Interviews in a procedural and professional manner. Through a 20-minute series of questions, prompts and tasks — all set within a client relations context — the Berlitz Rater assesses proficiency levels in the areas of:
- Grammatical Accuracy
- Linguistic Range
- Phonological Control
The results are based on the Common European Framework (CEF) — one of the most widely used and recognized language proficiency scales in the world — and are easily interpreted to determine personnel or applicant qualifications.
Berlitz Testing Specialists are ready to assist agencies with test scheduling and administration. We will work with your agency to establish a secure testing environment on your premises to ensure smooth, fair and proctored test administration. At the completion of a given examination, results will be provided within 48 hours to assist in making informed and expedient personnel decisions.
Berlitz Custom Tests
Berlitz Custom Tests are available in many languages, and provide the flexibility to focus on the communication skills that matter most to your organization. With your agency’s input, Berlitz designs each test to focus on the specific skills required for day-to-day exchanges between personnel and clients. The content encompasses tasks and texts that reflect the communicative activities that must be mastered so that jobs can be executed effectively. These include:
- Writing Skills (e.g. email and reports)
- Reading Comprehension Skills
- Written Translation Skills (from one language to another)
- Oral Translation Skills
- Use of Industry Specific Terminology
Depending on the skills tested and the scope of testing needs, Berlitz can employ a variety of test formats — from assessments over the telephone, to tests conducted online, to hard copy written tests. Berlitz Training Centers can even serve as a host for proctoring and/or administration, and Berlitz Testing Specialists are ready to assist your agency at any point in the process.
Why choose Berlitz?
- Berlitz is GSA Schedule approved for Language Contract #GS-10F-0138T. Look for us at www.GSAAdvantage.gov using the search words “Berlitz International”
- Berlitz has helped the world communicate through leadership and innovation in language and cultural services for more than 130 years
- Berlitz is the world’s premier provider of language training and cultural consulting services, with more than 550 Berlitz Learning Centers in 70 countries
- Berlitz offers Civilian agencies and Armed Forces branches a flexible range of online and face-to-face language training programs to meet their needs and budgets
- Only Berlitz offers language instruction based on the conversational Berlitz Method®
Contact Berlitz To Learn More »